Monday, June 24, 2013

Making the Most of Summer



My husband, youngest son, and I just celebrated the first full day of summer by lighting the fire pit and roasting hot dogs and marshmallows together. We sat outside talking, enjoying the longest day of the year, and looking at the much brighter moon. My husband was surprised when he looked at his phone to check the time and found that it was still light at 9:00 p.m.



I love that aspect of summer. Longer days mean more time to enjoy the perks summer brings with it. I rise earlier in the summer as my body is very attuned to the light cycle. I stay up later for the same reason.

Last week I took a lazy nap in the double rocker on my mother-in-law's back porch.  With the ceiling fan on high, my favorite Pandora station playing in the background, and the cooing of Mourning Doves, I was in nap time Nirvana. I couldn't have pulled this feat of relaxation off so well any other time of the year. It is a summer thing.

Another summer pleasure is making cool, refreshing drinks, meals, and desserts. Our big garden is a major player in this effort. My husband harvested a nice selection of tomatillos, tomatoes, peppers, and onions today. Right away I began planning a salsa cruda to top some homemade tortilla chips as a light appetizer before one of our dinners this week. Our various mint plants are also providing nice additions to iced tea and minted water.

Each season lasts only a short three month period of time. I am determined to enjoy each season while it lasts instead of complaining and wishing it away for the next one. So, raise a glass of iced tea to summer and let me know what you will be doing to celebrate and enjoy the next three months.







1 comment:

  1. Hear! Hear! We love to embrace each season and celebrate the First Day Of each one, with some activity indicative of the coming three months. Our First Day of Summer usually involves WATER, this year it was an evening of swimming with the youth group. The long summer evenings are so relaxing...I think I need a fire pit...and some minted water....ahhh!

    ReplyDelete