Saturday, March 2, 2013

Super Saver Saturday

Ingredients for Chicken Santa Fe purchased on sale and markdown at my favorite grocery store. 

                                                     Home Cooking Saves Money!
I made an enjoyable meal last night that was delicious, healthy, and inexpensive. We had a pork stir-fry with rice. My hubby had bought two packages of pre-cut stir fry vegetables that were marked down to 99 cents each and a package of thin sliced pork for $3.00 and it was my job to turn it into a culinary delight.

The vegetables in the stir fry were chopped cabbage, broccoli, carrots, and snow peas. I added a bit of broccoli, carrots, and onions, and garlic that I had in the fridge. I made my own sauce from cornstarch, soy sauce, water, and seasonings and served the stir fry over medium grain white rice that had been purchased in bulk.

The whole meal cost around $6.00 and fed three of us very generous helpings. If there had been any leftovers, they would have been recreated as fried rice for the next day's lunch.

Being able to cook and bake has been a huge boon to my budget! It allows my family to eat a variety of healthful foods. I am constantly adding to my skill set in the kitchen. Just this past week I made hummus, which is pricey to purchase but quite affordable to create at home.

If you do not currently cook for your family, I encourage you to start. You will quickly see an impact on your food bill and free up funds to use in other areas of your budget.

I will be sharing more on this topic of cooking from scratch in coming posts. Not only does cooking at home save money, homemade food promotes health which saves on trips to the doctor and lessens healthcare costs.

Chicken Santa Fe ready to eat. I serve it over rice with tortillas and a salad or garlic green beans. 







No comments:

Post a Comment